Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The New Nursery

I always seem to work way better with a deadline and too many things to do. Being a woman with no children who doesn't have a job outside the home is probably not the best combination for me. I don't accomplish much because I have a lot of time and not a lot to do to fill it up. I am looking forward to a new baby in the house making this current situation I'm in to become a non-issue! The reason I bring this up is because I got more done around my house in the week before the home visit by our social worker than I did in the month previous. I hung a curtain rod (in the spirit of full disclosure, my husband hung the rod), bought and glued 8 yards of pink pom poms to curtains to go on said rod, painted a tree in the nursery and finally unpacked, put together and decorated one of the last remaining rooms in the house we moved into in November.

Our social worker came out to the house on Saturday and she was totally awesome. I was comfortable with her from the moment she walked into our home. She made a situation that could be awkward or uncomfortable feel like meeting a new friend. Our home study should be ready by the end of the month. I finished putting together our adoption profile and really enjoyed the process more than I thought I would. I thought I would totally stress out about how it would look and what I would say. I mean, for the most part this document alone is what a birth mother bases her decision on. No pressure there! It turns out that the creative process was a lot of fun (I haven't done any digital scrapbooking in a long time) and as I was going through photographs and writing about our life it just made me appreciate my husband and the life we share even more.

Now that we are only a week or two away from being fully ready to start the adoption process, I have been downloading applications and such from several different agencies. Egad! More paperwork and most of it redundant. I am hoping that most agencies will take what is already in the home study and not make us recreate it just so it's on their letterhead. A girl can dream, can't she?

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the finished nursery. The tree I painted this time is more whimsical than the one from the last nursery. I don't know if I like it better or not. I think the last one suited my design sensibility more but I didn't want to create the exact same room, although I did use the same items as last time. I found the tree I used (painted using an overhead projector) at The Shabby Shoppe. It was included in the digital kit called Yours Truly. If you like digital scrapbooking at all you should check out this site. They have really cute stuff.

Here is the nursery before: (not from the last house just before I painted the one in this house)

After:



Here is the nursery bath before:


And after. I still need some new towels and such but I am just using what I have for now.


5 comments:

  1. Please come to my house and decorate!!!! That tree is so awesome. I like it better than the last one. I love the green to. You did a great job, way to go!! Now it is time to bring baby home and start using that stuff, huh!

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. e---

    I love the new tree- and the birds are way too cute. The colors, the furniture, all of it, are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so glad to hear that you guys are in process again, and I can't wait to see your little one in your arms - and in that kick-ass nursery!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so in love! Those rooms are gorgeous! Do you consult at all?!? The tree, the colors, the birds...love them!

    Congrats on getting your home study done! I can't wait to hear some more good news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Elilzabeth - this room is GORGEOUS!!! When's the baby coming, and will you shoot me a picture of my art in your rooms someday?

    Superb blog, Missy! I could spend a day here!

    ReplyDelete